Monday, July 20, 2015

Black And White And Red All Over (Kathy Berger)





Black and White and Red All Over
by Kathy Berger


This card is one I have been hoping to find time to do, mostly because I wanted to share a technique with you.

I started making the card by cutting 5 different papers using the Bubble Background die from Frantic Stamper. Four of the papers were various black and white or just black prints. The fifth was red. I reserved all the pieces from inside each of the cuts in separate small bowls. I set aside the inside pieces from the black dotted cut, and the outside pieces from the others.

I covered the entire front of the black dotted bubble background with Post-it tape,



and then I flipped it over.



This gave me a way to hold all of the pieces I was going to inlay in place while also allowing me to reposition them if I needed to.

I first placed a few red pieces in place where I wanted them. I tried to make them balanced in the piece, but I didn't lay them in any specific pattern.

After that I worked with the darkest of the inlay colors first, working from the top left to the bottom right, randomly placing the pieces. I repeated with the other colors. Laying them top left across to bottom right helped me to keep from putting too many pieces of the same paper next to each other.

When I was finished filling in the bubbles I took a piece of black cardstock that was quite a bit bigger than the background piece and applied a thin layer of liquid adhesive. I covered the Bubble Background piece with it and let the adhesive dry.

Once dry, I flipped it back over and removed the Post-It tape. I trimmed the black piece down so there was just a tiny border around the Bubble Background piece. I mounted them onto a white card blank.

I stamped my sentiment on a small strip of white paper which I then mounted onto a red strip and a black strip. I cut a flag on one end and mounted the sentiment to the card using foam tape.

Here are a couple more views of the card from different angles.





I hope you enjoyed the card and that you will give the technique a try!


*** Materials for this project available at www.franticstamper.com.
 
FRA-Die-09413

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous. I've got to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:38 AM

    What a cool idea - and the leftover bits would make another couple of cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am going to try to do something different with some of the backgrounds that were left. I will share if my ideas work out...

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:04 AM

    I would have never thought to do this...kind of like putting together a puzzle and I love puzzles. LOL Great idea and a beautiful card. I love the black and white with the splash of red...very striking against the white. Love it. Jan D., FL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! Though it was a bit time consuming it was a lot of fun, and somethat relaxing to do. The Post-it tape did make the job a lot easier!

      Delete
  4. I love this card Kathy! Definitely fun, fun, fun! I love collage type piecing work! Will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rozy! The piecing is definitely right up your alley!

      Delete
  5. j'adore cette carte ! je n'y aurais pas songé non plus ! bravo et merci pour le partage !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Beaucoup, Nicky. Je me suis amusé å le faire!

      Delete
  6. Wow Kathy this is a work of art. So super clever and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing combination of colors, great job. Love the die.

    ReplyDelete